Food Psych PodCast With Christy Harrison
I was recently interviewed by Christy Harrison on the Food Psych Podcast episode 104.
We discuss how to make peace with feelings.
Key Points of the Podcast:
- Anita’s relationship with food growing up, including her experience growing up in Guam and not knowing what dieting was until she got older
- Diet culture, the thin ideal, and the “Twiggy” obsession in the early 70s
- Anita’s experience in the Miss Universe pageant
- Cultural differences in the beauty ideal
- The limitations of the current body-positive movement re: age and body type
- Matrilineal culture, matriarchy, and patriarchy
- Anita’s educational journey
- Applying meaning to our experiences
- Feminism and women’s cultural issues
- The Emperor’s New Clothes
- Perceiving the nuance and the falsehoods in our culture
- Why eating disorders have adaptive functions
- Food as metaphor
- The value of community support on this intuitive eating, non-diet journey
- Setting boundaries and creating limits
- Creating inner parents for comfort and protection
- Compassionate curiosity
- The metaphor of the feminine and masculine archetypes
- Finding balance between the parts of our personalities
I would love to hear what you think, share a comment below!